Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Starter Set, Reception, Session 7 Part 4

The party approached the crumbling tower as quietly as possible, readying for a fight.

The sun setting over the trees, a stillness entered the air.  A low, sickly green fog rolled across the hillside, emanating from the tower.  The fog created a humid, sticky sensation on the skin, and an acrid, sour smell burning the nostrils.  Hundreds of birds surrounded the clearing around the tower, staring intently without a sound, silently watching the scene unfold.

Durial approached the tower as silently as he could.

"I know you're out there," spoke a female voice echoing from within the building.  "Speaking with the druid.  I can smell his foul odor."
"I know that druid wants me to leave. Coveting my treasure. Undoubtedly I'm sure you do, too."

"I have come to parlay," said Durial.  "I have an offering of treasure, and a safe home free from followers."

"...Very well.  Come inside, show me what you have to offer," she said, enticing Durial to enter.

Entering the round ruined structure, the drow rogue found a locked chest resting in the center of the space, and a broken stairway curving up towards a missing second floor.  Standing upon the upper-most stairs, the elven woman in green looked upon him.


Her eyes narrowed, she waited quietly as he drew forth a map.  "I can show you the location of a castle in the woods to the south that is no longer occupied," he said.

"Place it on the chest over there," she motioned.  He turned and went to lay the map down, when her voice shifted, deepening, becoming a loud growl.

"That's far enough."


Durial raised his head to the full form of the dragon, looming over him angrily with death in her eyes, just meeting her gaze in time for her poisonous breath to engulf him.

1 comment: